VIDEORECIPE The best Cauliflower Cheese recipe
Cauliflower Cheese is a British dish that is served as a side or even as a main (vegetarian!) Hands down the most delicious cauliflower side dish recipe I know. (All that cheese certainly helps!)
The recipe can be found in this article
Knowing how to cook a turkey well is a culinary skill everyone should have. Otherwise, what will you do for Thanksgiving?
- 1 kg lb cauliflower florets very large
- 2 medium or small cauliflower heads
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 0.13 teaspoon black pepper
CHEESE SAUCE (MORNAY SAUCE)
- 60 tablespoon g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon flour(plain all-purpose)
- 1 Cup milk (full fat best)
- 1 Cup cream (or more milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cooking salt (kosher salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg powder (freshly grated is best)
- 1 Cup Red Leicester cheese (or cheddar)
- 1⁄2 Cup gruyère cheese(grated or other melting cheese of choice)
- 1⁄2 Cup Red Leicester cheese (or cheddar)
- 1⁄2 Cup gruyère cheese(grated)
Preheat oven to 220°C / 430°F (200°C fan).Toss cauliflower in oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a large tray.
Roast 20 minutes (don't turn). Cauliflower should still be a bit firm, but with some colour on them. Remove from oven.Turn oven down to 180°C/350°F.
CHEESE SAUCE (MORNAY SAUCE):
Heat milk: Heat milk and cream until hot – either on the stove or in microwave.
Make roux: Melt butter in a large saucepan or small pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 minutes.
Add milk: While stirring, pour in half the milk. Once the roux is dissolved into the milk (mixture will thicken), stir in remaining milk. Stir on the heat for 1 minute – mixture should be thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.
Add cheese: Turn the stove off, but leave the pot on the turned off stove. Stir in salt, nutmeg and both cheeses. The cheese will thicken the mixture so it's like a thick sauce.
Mix in cauliflower: Add cauliflower and toss to coat in the sauce.
Fill baking dish: Transfer mixture to a 2L / 2qt baking dish (30 x 20 x 5cm / 12 x 8 x 2").Top with cheese: Sprinkle over gruyère followed Red Leicester cheese.
Bake at 180°C/350°F for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted, and cauliflower is bubbly and golden.
Serve: Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Stand 5 minutes then serve!